Oak Grove Church of the Brethren
“Let the children come to me, so not to hinder them; for to such belongs the Kingdom of God. Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” Mark 10: 14-15
Christian education is a permanent challenge to the work of the Church. Not only did our Lord and Savior continuously teach the word of God during His early mission, but the Church as well from the earliest times looked upon Christian education as one of its essential ministries. As the first Christians joined the Church “they devoted themselves to the apostle’s teaching and fellowship to the breaking of bread and the prayers.” Acts 2:42
The greatest gift, the most precious inheritance that we have to give to our children is our faith. Jesus makes it clear that He wants children to come to know Him, and the He considers it a grave offense for an adult to hinder this process or lead child astray: “whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened round his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.” Matt 18:6
The aim of Sunday School is to evoke and nurture faith in Jesus Christ. The Church nurtures a living awareness of the risen Christ in our midst. The focus of our efforts at Oak Grove Sunday School is to educate our beloved children (of all ages) in the knowledge of Jesus’ love for them all. When we bring our children regularly to Sunday School we provide them with a gift of knowledge that has lifelong value and significance.
The need of Christian education is as immediate as when the disciples first appealed to Jesus: “Teach us to pray.” Luke 11:1
Christian education is an essential and abiding ministry in the Church. As other important ministries, it is never finished. It can be as vital and meaningful as the whole body of the Church makes it through provision of adequate personal, spiritual and financial resources.
The validity of Christian education is demonstrated by the truth that a well-informed Christian is a spiritually committed Christian within the greater body of the Church. The commission of Christian education comes from the Lord Himself:
“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you, and lo I am with you always, to the close of the age.” Matt 28: 19-20
Parents: Bring your children to Sunday School. Your personal example and involvement in the religious education of your children are extremely important. The pastor and teachers cannot do the job alone. Here are ways you can help develop the spiritual life and moral upbringing of your children.
*Bring your children to Sunday School.
* Stay and worship for Church service.
* Be positive about Church.
* Discuss with them what they learn each Sunday.
*Teach them about bringing their offerings.
* Give your personal example of Christian living.
* Put Church before other activities on Sunday.
* Avoid criticism of others.
* Let your love for Our Lord Jesus Christ radiate.
to bring your child to Sunday School
While sleeping late can be nice, have you considered the benefits of Sunday School attendance for your child. Here are 10 reasons to make it a priority in your family.
1. Age Targeted Teaching: Where else can your kids get Biblical instruction that's focused toward their developmental abilities?
2. Friends: In Sunday School, your child will build positive friendships with their peers by discovering God's Word together.
3. It's Fun: Sunday School is not Disney Land, but our teachers do
work hard to teach the Bible in ways that are relevant and fun for kids.
4. Spiritual Mentors: A dedicated teacher can be a Christian role
model who supports you and helps inspire the faith of your child.
5. Systematic Bible Learning: Our curriculum is designed to give a broad foundation, so children will understand how all the parts of Scripture point to Christ.
6. Praying Teachers: Our teachers consistently pray for your child's faith to grow. Coming to Sunday School gives another occasion for God to answer those requests.
7. Big Reward For a Small Investment: If you're already coming to church, just come a little earlier. That one change will equal over 800 hours of additional Christian teaching before your child graduates.
8. Send the Right Message: Making Sunday School a priority shows your kids that God's Word really does matter more than pillow-time.
9. Adult Bible Fellowship: While the children enjoy their class, you can fellowship with other adults in your own class.
10. You'll Be On Time: Families who come to Sunday School always get to worship on time. It's the easiest way to avoid being late.
6557 Sang Run Road
McHenry, MD 21541
Pastor Scott Rush--301-616-0303
Sunday School: 10 AM
Sermon: 11 AM
*** Bible Study is Temporarily Suspended at this time.
Vacation Bible School
Oak Grove Church has an annual Vacation Bible School every summer during the evening hours. Vacation Bible School is one of the most rewarding summer activities children can be involved in. We have classes for all age groups; pre-k through adult. Please check back later for more information; date, curriculum and time.