Oak Grove Church of the Brethren
6557 Sang Run Road
McHenry, MD 21541
Pastor Scott Rush--301-616-0303
Sunday School: 10 AM
Sermon: 11 AM
Our congregation originally began sometime between the years of 1914 and 1917 as several worshiped in the old schoolhouse located on the Sebold farm. Many of the descendants of these faithful few are attending and serving at Oak Grove today. We were a part of the Pine Grove congregation and it served as the mother church through the infant years of Oak Grove.
In the year 1920-21, Oak Grove decided to build their church. Plans began to materialize as the deed was acquired and members, both men and women, worked faithfully donating their time and efforts to establish the church. Years passed as the membership struggled with the indebtedness incurred for the building project. Only eternity will prove the sacrifices that were made to liquidate these debts. Through the years, the church continued to progress with the times.
Connell Chaney was accepted as part-time pastor at Oak Grove in 1952 and served as the first contracted paid pastor of the congregation. On July 17, 1956 a call was extended to William Hamilton to pastor the church. His term of service continued through the summer of 1958. On Sept. 3, 1958, Council meeting was held for the purpose of securing a pastor. Don Matthews was extended the invitation and with his acceptance served Oak Grove for approximately 45 years. In February 2004, he tendered his resignation from full-time pastoral ministry. Oak Grove was again relying on the Spirit’s direction to call a pastor. Subsequent to a congregational vote, Oak Grove was one of a few churches in the District to ever do a role reversal. Pastor Don was installed as Associate and his son, Philip, who had been serving as Associate Pastor, was installed as full-time pastor at Oak Grove. Pastor Don resigned in March 2004 as Associate pastor. Pastor Phil continued until August 2014. Pastor Scott Rush & his family accepted the position of part-time pastor starting on June 7, 2015 then accepted the full-time position as of October 1, 2015. As we reflect back over the years, they have passed so rapidly that we can hardly imagine. But, with the years have come blessings, heartaches, smiles, tears, hopes and a deepening of our faith.
Many improvements have been made to the church as the need arose and funds were available. Again, a building committee was appointed to obtain bids for another renovation to Oak Grove in April of 1993. This renovation officially began on August 6th, 1994. Thus, the manual labor also began! The sanctuary was extended making the necessary 3-foot isles on each side and through the center. A 20’ addition was added on the upper side for three more Sunday school rooms. The stage area was made longer and a Pastor’s office was added. The fellowship hall and kitchen areas were nearly doubled in size. Two handicapped ramps were constructed. On the first level, wheelchair access bathrooms are now available. Lastly, a new roof was constructed to cover the entire sanctuary. During this major renovation from September 18, 1994 through December 4, 1994, our worship services were held in the McHenry fire hall. To God be the glory for His care and keeping during this major building project!
In the spring of 1998, funds were generously donated to pave the church parking lot. Caring and giving people have truly blessed Oak Grove through the years. In 2001, central air was installed in our sanctuary. The same year a need for more cemetery space prompted the church to purchase ground for a new cemetery lot. In 2002, a steeple was erected on Oak Grove Church. Beitzel Corporation donated the services of a hoist truck and driver for this installation. In 2006, a pavilion was added to the church property through the generosity of Delores Alexander. She donated the funds for this pavilion in memory of her husband, Frederick (Fred) Alexander. The structure was built by Robert Williams of C & R Builders. Old cabinets removed from the church basement were also installed by the men of the church in the pavilion. They also built the picnic tables. Harold & Scott Swauger donated their services to install the wiring. In 2007, the beautiful fireplace was built by Pete Savage & crew of Sunrise Masonry & Construction.
We rejoice together that our church family has grown each year. We have realized the birth of new ones both physically and spiritually into our midst. As we reflect back over our growth at Oak Grove, we must say that God’s church is destined to move on, sometimes with us, sometimes because of us, and sometimes in spite of us. Praise His wonderful name! We trust that the Lord continues to provide a harvest field in which we can labor and serve Him, until He sees fit to call us unto Himself.
“The World at Its Worst Needs A Church At Its Best!”